Radionomy Board
It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:22 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:12 pm
Posts: 35
Radio 1: http://www.radionomy.com/en#!/en/radio/ ... ited/index
My number one problem is the imposition of Adverts for 2 minutes every 15 minutes/24h/7d.

Why not: One advert on top of the hour?

Why not: Instead of "if you miss 3 adverts in a week you're out" (which happens if you have a 30m or 1h show every day - super normal - that can't be broken every 15 minutes (dj sets, concerts, repetitions), we could compensate that loss?
i.e.: If I missed 14 ads (= one hour show everyday), I could insert those ads another time. (if you really must have 48 ads/day even when half the globe is sleeping and some don't even listen the ads but a song)

Breaking a show every 15 minutes for 2 minutes is very disruptive for the listener and the broadcaster.
It's too much. Exagerated.
Not only kills the mood, it also prevents us from uploading or streaming live shows with 30 minutes or 1 hour, which are fairly normal times for radio shows.

The Player:
doesn't have a volume slider

Select multiple function RMO
The Shift and the Command or Control Key to select multiple tracks would help, instead of using the mouse to click the little hand.

Agree With DOLLZ ("Also would like an easier and direct way to go live. This is a big one for many. Maybe a page with a direct click to start live and then click to go back to regular play. This will increase usability.") - not forgetting Mac users too :)

And agree with ABetterRadio ("Get rid of the stupid 2 minute blank ad spot. This kills listeners" and also "Get rid of having to approve every song uploaded") - yes. sometimes I can't even understand why is not right, sometimes things like "feat XX" doesn't work, I don't know. As you say: time consumig

Thank you.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:12 am
Posts: 272
Location: The Netherlands ('Brabant')
O.S: Windows Seven 64 Bits
MBee wrote:
My number one problem is the imposition of Adverts for 2 minutes every 15 minutes/24h/7d.


Here, it's 'just' 2 minutes every 30 minutes. Strange.

_________________
Former radio producer; but still listening to Double XX, Tijdloos, AlternativeRadio, International Rare Groove, Fly Foot Selecta and some others. Check great music at wwzapper.com


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:12 pm
Posts: 35
Radio 1: http://www.radionomy.com/en#!/en/radio/ ... ited/index
Good Vibrations wrote:
MBee wrote:
My number one problem is the imposition of Adverts for 2 minutes every 15 minutes/24h/7d.


Here, it's 'just' 2 minutes every 30 minutes. Strange.


Yes, thank you Good Vibrations, you're right but the result is the same...here :)
"between :15 and :30 past the hour (...) and again between :45 and the top of the hour" and the consequent max. 15 minutes files upload rule, means:

a) if you want a 30m show you can only broadcast it between minutes :15-:45 or :45-:15 (odd to me) or else you'll break the show.

b) shows longer than 30m/day will be broken twice, and if not, you skip 3 ads/week and you're out.

c) because of that, uploads are limited to 15 minutes, which means they have to be broken in segments of 15 minutes (meaning that a dj set has to be broken in 4 pieces (=4 odd gaps), 2 if they played only for 30 minutes).

d) also, you reminded me: if we can have a 30m show (as long as we broadcast it at oddly minutes), why can't we upload a 30m file? That means the upload restriction doesn't make sense. Am I thinking wrong?

What I'm saying is:

I think it would be a good thing if we could manage/decide when/how to insert the adverts (maybe we don't have to have 48 ads/day: listeners sleep too; maybe we could have something like "ad packs", or simply stating a nr of total ad minutes/day that had to be streamed - maybe not the the 96m), which would also end up with the 15 minutes upload restriction and the "skip 3 ads/week=out" rule.

Why? Maybe you're ok with inserting the ads at those specific times. Fine. But for others (like me) that imposition is very disruptive and we prefer other moments. Same for those here who suggested a 30s ad inserted more frequently instead of a 2m ad inserted twice/hour.

I mean, each author has his own way of programming, his audience, his crew, so he could be able to manage the ads accordingly, don't you think?


Last edited by MBee on Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:48 pm 
Offline
Moderators
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:10 pm
Posts: 1674
Location: Alabama, USA
O.S: Windows 10
MBee wrote:
Good Vibrations wrote:
MBee wrote:
My number one problem is the imposition of Adverts for 2 minutes every 15 minutes/24h/7d.


Here, it's 'just' 2 minutes every 30 minutes. Strange.


Yes, thank you Good Vibrations, you're right but the result is the same...here :)
"between :15 and :30 past the hour (...) and again between :45 and the top of the hour" and the consequent max. 15 minutes files upload rule, means:

a) if want a 30m show you can only broadcast it between minutes :15-:45 or :45-:15 (odd to me) or else you'll break the show.

b) shows longer than 30m/day will be broken twice, and if not, you skip 3 ads/week and you're out.

c) because of that, uploads are limited to 15 minutes, which means they have to be broken in segments of 15 minutes (meaning that a dj set has to be broken in 4 pieces (=4 odd gaps), 2 if they played only for 30 minutes).

d) also, you reminded me: if we can have a 30m show (as long as we broadcast it at oddly minutes), why can't we upload a 30m file? That means the upload restriction doesn't make sense. Am I thinking wrong?

What I'm saying is:

I think it would be a good thing if we could manage/decide when/how to insert the adverts (maybe we don't have to have 48 ads/day: listeners sleep too; maybe we could have something like "ad packs", or simply stating a nr of total ad minutes/day that had to be streamed - maybe not the the 96m), which would also end up with the 15 minutes upload restriction and the "skip 3 ads/week=out" rule.

Why? Maybe you're ok with inserting the ads at those specific times. Fine. But for others (like me) that imposition is very disruptive and we prefer other moments. Same for those here who suggested a 30s ad inserted more frequently instead of a 2m ad inserted twice/hour.

I mean, each author has his own way of programming, his audience, his crew, so he could be able to manage the ads accordingly, don't you think?


Hi Mbee,

The suggestion is a good one. But, regarding the DJ mixes, they are not permitted on the platform because of International Copyright Laws. Each song played on your radio must show the title and artist's name so that the artist's of the same can be properly compensated for the use of their music.

See: http://board.radionomy.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=575 (7. Using the Audio Content Generated by Radio Producers)


Best regards,

_________________
J.A.R.


For "Support" please include your radio's index link in your profile data (Radio 1). 8. Signature

Para "Asistencia" favor de incluir el enlace índice de radio en los datos del perfil (Radio 1). 8. Firma


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:12 pm
Posts: 35
Radio 1: http://www.radionomy.com/en#!/en/radio/ ... ited/index
Thank you. That's good to know.

Interesting Law...I wonder how AM/FM broadcasters do that and how anyone does that when playing vinyl...

Anyway the same goes for other stuff (talking, concerts, etc etc) and also for this case - if they manage to show the names while streaming live. So, it still is a useful option for those other situations.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:12 pm
Posts: 35
Radio 1: http://www.radionomy.com/en#!/en/radio/ ... ited/index
About the Producer Pact:

Specifically about the name of the song/artist:
"When uploading songs, the following mandatory information is requested: the artist’s name and song title"

- Why? Because Radionomy must have the list of songs/artist we play, so they can pay the artists

- that doesn't mean we (producers) have to show the names to the listeners while streaming, because the audience has nothing to do with that. They're not the ones who pay them.

Real radio stations (and other non-digital realities) are not constantly telling us the name of the song and artist we're listening. They don't even have to talk, so...how would that "International CR Law"* work? it wouldn't. (*there's no "international copyright law")
What they must have is a list of all the songs they play on their radio which they then give to whoever collects the money. And that's why the producer's pact asks this. Radionomy needs the list, the audience (display in the player) doesn't.

So, djs/producers would only need to give Radionomy that list so artists can be paid.
They could even display that list on the page for all the listeners to know, if that's a thing, but it doesn't have to be while they're playing, otherwise we were all breaking the law, since the player is rarely updated, and usually displays the name of the previous song, instead of the song we're actually listening and also because that would assume each listener had to be constantly monitoring the player to know the artist/title.

So...what we (producers) could do would be: send a list of all the songs we use (either in a talk show, music, dj set, whatever, recorded or live) to Radionomy, even if not necessarily a real mp3 file is uploaded (because of vinyl and so).

Would this be possible or not? What you think?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:59 pm 
Offline
Moderators
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:10 pm
Posts: 1674
Location: Alabama, USA
O.S: Windows 10
MBee wrote:
Thank you. That's good to know.

Interesting Law...I wonder how AM/FM broadcasters do that and how anyone does that when playing vinyl...

Anyway the same goes for other stuff (talking, concerts, etc etc) and also for this case - if they manage to show the names while streaming live. So, it still is a useful option for those other situations.



Hi,

As a previous AM owner, I can say that the contracts are different with commercial AM/FM radio stations. (i.e Blanket)

Internet is a little different, whereas, you have to display the metadata for each song for payments to be made.

Radionomy, being the actual transmitting (Webcaster) entity, is responsible for the royalty payments. (In accord with the Creator's Pact)

Informative "Talk" Podcasts are different as they would contain little or no music. (i.e. Incidental)

Thank you for the suggestions, though!

P.S. Although I understand you're not in the U.S., the International Laws are reciprocal among all Countries around the world. Especially in Europe (i.e Portugal)

U.S. info: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#114


Best regards,

_________________
J.A.R.


For "Support" please include your radio's index link in your profile data (Radio 1). 8. Signature

Para "Asistencia" favor de incluir el enlace índice de radio en los datos del perfil (Radio 1). 8. Firma


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:12 pm
Posts: 35
Radio 1: http://www.radionomy.com/en#!/en/radio/ ... ited/index
J.A.R. wrote:
Internet is a little different, whereas, you have to display the metadata for each song for payments to be made.

Radionomy, being the actual transmitting (Webcaster) entity, is responsible for the royalty payments. (In accord with the Creator's Pact)

P.S. Although I understand you're not in the U.S., the International Laws are reciprocal among all Countries around the world. Especially in Europe (i.e Portugal)

U.S. info: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#114

Best regards,


Thank you for the information. Also for the link, however, that's a USA law, not an "international law", which does not exist yet. I've searched in SABAM(be), SECAM(fr), SPA(pt) for legal documentation and eventually all the web for that obligation and couldn't find it. Except in USA.

Can you or anyone send me the legal doc. from Sabam (that's the agency with whom Radionomy deals, right?), the exact "Authors' Rights" doc or whatever specific legal doc this Producer's Pact is based on (is it posted in the site or this forum?) where it clearly states that online radios must inform the artist's name/song title while they're streaming? I'm really curious about that. It's a very useful piece of information.

Even because there are some "various artists" and other wrong names (as some people already noticed: posted in the forum somewhere) in Radionomy's database; because if that is so important, then the player could not be late (that would be misinforming and illegal); because then vinyl had to be banned (Is there a law that says we can't stream vinyl? How do we stream vinyl records and display the name digitally? Do we have to copy it? Isn't that illegal?); and finally, because that doesn't change a thing, reason why am/fm don't have to do it yet artists are paid. "Informative "Talk" Podcasts are different as they would contain little or no music." the amount shouldn't matter, copyright is copyright, same rule would apply.

As long as Radionomy/Sabam (in this particular case) gets the list, artists will/shall be paid.
Informing listeners while we're streaming is totally irrelevant.
Also, my suggestion didn't even exclude that information. Listeners could have access to the list the same way its done on mixcloud and soundcloud: we just have to post it on our page.

I know USA law states that (I read it and I believe in you J.A.R when you say it's not the only one - I can't find it, but I believe in you), but think with me: does it make any sense? Can't anything be done about it in that case?

Ok. I'm not going to continue this conversation, I feel I'm not going anywhere with is.
As in the song: "I fought the law, and the law won" :)

I just want to be well informed (so if anyone knows where the legal document is I'll be grateful) to make informed decisions.

Cheers. And thank you for your attention.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:24 pm 
Offline
Moderators
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:10 pm
Posts: 1674
Location: Alabama, USA
O.S: Windows 10
MBee wrote:
J.A.R. wrote:
Internet is a little different, whereas, you have to display the metadata for each song for payments to be made.

Radionomy, being the actual transmitting (Webcaster) entity, is responsible for the royalty payments. (In accord with the Creator's Pact)

P.S. Although I understand you're not in the U.S., the International Laws are reciprocal among all Countries around the world. Especially in Europe (i.e Portugal)

U.S. info: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#114

Best regards,


Thank you for the information. Also for the link, however, that's a USA law, not an "international law", which does not exist yet. I've searched in SABAM(be), SECAM(fr), SPA(pt) for legal documentation and eventually all the web for that obligation and couldn't find it. Except in USA.

Can you or anyone send me the legal doc. from Sabam (that's the agency with whom Radionomy deals, right?), the exact "Authors' Rights" doc or whatever specific legal doc this Producer's Pact is based on (is it posted in the site or this forum?) where it clearly states that online radios must inform the artist's name/song title while they're streaming? I'm really curious about that. It's a very useful piece of information.

Even because there are some "various artists" and other wrong names (as some people already noticed: posted in the forum somewhere) in Radionomy's database; because if that is so important, then the player could not be late (that would be misinforming and illegal); because then vinyl had to be banned (Is there a law that says we can't stream vinyl? How do we stream vinyl records and display the name digitally? Do we have to copy it? Isn't that illegal?); and finally, because that doesn't change a thing, reason why am/fm don't have to do it yet artists are paid. "Informative "Talk" Podcasts are different as they would contain little or no music." the amount shouldn't matter, copyright is copyright, same rule would apply.

As long as Radionomy/Sabam (in this particular case) gets the list, artists will/shall be paid.
Informing listeners while we're streaming is totally irrelevant.
Also, my suggestion didn't even exclude that information. Listeners could have access to the list the same way its done on mixcloud and soundcloud: we just have to post it on our page.

I know USA law states that (I read it and I believe in you J.A.R when you say it's not the only one - I can't find it, but I believe in you), but think with me: does it make any sense? Can't anything be done about it in that case?

Ok. I'm not going to continue this conversation, I feel I'm not going anywhere with is.
As in the song: "I fought the law, and the law won" :)

I just want to be well informed (so if anyone knows where the legal document is I'll be grateful) to make informed decisions.

Cheers. And thank you for your attention.


Hi MBee,

No problem. Happy to help.

Here are the links:

Producer's Pact: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=575

Sabam: http://www.sabam.be/en/sabam/who-are-we

FAQ: http://www.sabam.be/en/sabam/faq-18

Reciprocal Societies: http://www.sabam.be/sites/default/files ... 032013.pdf


Best regards,

_________________
J.A.R.


For "Support" please include your radio's index link in your profile data (Radio 1). 8. Signature

Para "Asistencia" favor de incluir el enlace índice de radio en los datos del perfil (Radio 1). 8. Firma


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:12 pm
Posts: 35
Radio 1: http://www.radionomy.com/en#!/en/radio/ ... ited/index
J.A.R. wrote:


Thanks again. :)
None of those documents say that song/artist name must be displayed while streaming.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group